(Ohmygosh! I've hit 10,000+ Views? Hooray for little joys!)
|Allow me to show you the dance of my people...|
Whelp, my TV signal was being a bit rude last night, going off when I'm trying to pay attention to important and/or potentially funny parts. (*sigh* And Hannibal was on, too. But I missed watching something about a guy this week making his victims' bodies into angels because I WILL PERSERVERE!) But I still watched and I'm still going to review and have something to show for it!
Charles Augustus Milverton.
The master blackmailer! The king of blackmail! A canon character! They actually used a canon story and another canon character! :D
|Ponies best express my happiness at their efforts...|
|Easy come, easy go...|
But Millerlock knows Milverton had an accomplice, so he and Joan have to find this accomplice before he realizes Milverton's dead and releases the videos.
Oh, and it's Millerlock's 1-year "sober-versary", but he doesn't want the chip commemorating it because of a certain detail...
Okay, I can't really describe my feelings about the big thing this episode: actually sort of doing a canon story. I have no idea how to describe what they've done here, first of all. On one hand, it's a reinterpretation/adaption. But that doesn't last long. It's sort of an expansion, in that the stretch the plot to after Milverton's death, but at the same time it's kinda abridged, in that the canon stuff only happens in the few minutes before the theme song. It's a reinterpreted expansive abridged adaption! A ReExAbAd! They tried, I guess...
(Also, I'd complain about another extra canon character being disposed of/dead/"put on the bus", but technically, Milverton did die in his story (at one of his victim's hands, as well), so... five points Elementary, I guess.)
Also, I think this Milverton's a bit more despicable in this, as the Canon one pretty much only blackmailed women with compromising letters and such, not THE FAMILIES OF FREAKIN' RAPE VICTIMS! The accomplice kind of sickened me, too. And NOT in the "love to hate them" way.
It was nice to see Alfredo again. He even got a bigger role! Heck, he appeared more than Bell this episode! (Though, given how short Bell and Gregson's appearances can be in this show, that does mean a little bit less...) I liked the quick little speech he gave Millerlock when Millerlock gave his fake reason for not wanting to celebrate his sobriety anniversary.
I thought Millerlock did good to. I liked his monologue about the real reason he wasn't accepting the chip.
Not really much to say, here. It was decent, and I appreciate the attempt at adapting a story. Wasn't too mind-blowing, but it wasn't a complete failure. It was standard Elementary.
I put my recap early because of something I'm gonna get into later, but let's still have some last minute thoughts:
- As far as scenes go, I liked Millerlock's details monologue, Alfredo's calling out of Millerlock for being selfish, and Joan and Millerlock's license deduction. (Honorable mention goes to the "regression" scene, because it looked like it was funny, but the TV was bein' a jerk at that point...)
- Favorite lines from Millerlock include: the "sea monkies" one, the line he says to the rapist, the and "good news" line.Also, I swear I heard him call someone "A liar who lies." XD
- Where do they get the clothes for Lucy Liu to wear as Joan? Seriously, I loved that black shirt she was watching...
- I was NOT loving the other accomplice of Milverton's dead, fat body in the tub. DID NOT WANT!
- I wish they'd actually work more on the relationship of Gregson and Sherlock here, besides just the assurances that he's someone Millerlock respects.
- Besides the fact this was a ReExAbAd (This is a fun acronym word I made up...) of "Charles Augustus Milverton", we also have Millerlock saying he's an expert on tattoos (a throwaway detail from "The Red-Headed League"). TOTALLY called the latter...
- Joan seriously needs to start locking her bedroom door or something...
- ...I need cable...
Guess who's back,
Seb is back, (At least)
Guess who's back,
guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back, guess who's back... DANANA!
|This gif just brings me joy...|
Also THERE'S ONLY FOUR MORE EPISODES LEFT TO REVIEW! YAY! Until next week (unless I do an earlier post or get the project I have for next month started before that, too), have a "happy crying" Andrew Scott...
|I have more gifs of Andrew Scott than I think I should...|