Thursday, April 12, 2012

Loveable Freak Reviews A Study in Scarlet


  So, I now have in my possession copies of The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol. 1 and 2. I felt the need to review the stories. Currently, I'm reading The Sign of Four, but I think it's best to start with a review of the one that started it all, A Study in Scarlet.

  I'll try not to spoil, tred carefully.

  Now, I came into this having already seen "A Study in Pink", the episode of Sherlock based on this. As I read this, I had Little Internal Moments Of  Fangirlish Squee whenever I saw things that were similar. It increases my admiration of Moffat and Gatiss all the more. Yes, there are differences, but it's still awesome. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

  I enjoyed reading Sherlock Holmes's (in)famous "Brain is an attic" speech. Especially when Watson notes beforehand that he told Holmes about the solar system, and Holmes pretty much says, "Hmm... Fascinating. I'll try hard to forget it." That, coupled with Watson's exclamation of "But the solar system!" post-speech is just funny.

  I also enjoyed when the duo went to the scene of the murder, and as they left, Holmes matter-of-factly points out how "RACHE" isn't "RACHEL", but the German word for revenge to Inspectors Lestrade and Gregson. I can just picture him with this smug look on his face, and it's awesome. I also enjoy seeing them trying to solve the case, only to be proven wrong shortly afterward. And they were so confident. Poor guys...

   My only real complaint was the multi-chapter flashback to the killer's past. Yes, it gave us his motive and his back story, but it was jarring. It could've been its own stand-alone story. I'm a bit impatient when it comes to some things in books (plot points they tell you in the summary not being revealed, long travel sequences, to name two) and knowing there was more Sherlock, I was like: "GET BACK TO MY DETECTIVE, DOYLE!" Other than that, it was pretty good.

  Click back next time for The Sign of Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment